Can mathematics save someone’s life?
Yes, it can. Literally.
Body fluids drains out very rapidly after extensive burns. The lost fluid must be re-introduced in the form of Intra venous Infusion. Now the rate at which fluid to be given has to be calculated. Most commonly used formula(parkland formula).
The Parkland formula is mathematically expressed as:
where m=mass is in kilograms (kg), A=area as a percentage of total body surface area, and V=volume in milliliters (mL). For example, a person weighing 50 kg with burns to 20% of his or her body surface area would require 4 x 50 x 20 = 4,000 mL of fluid replacement within 24 hours. The first half of this amount is delivered within 8 hours from the burn incident, and the remaining fluid is delivered in the next 16 hours.
1. The area between upper lip and the lower part of nose is called dangerous area of face. Never ignore any infection or injury at this part.
2. If you are having a minor nosebleed, lean forward slightly with the head tilted forward. This will prevent the blood from getting backwards to your sinuses or lungs. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between the thumb and index finger. Hold the nose for at least five minutes. Repeat as necessary until the bleeding stops.
3. If you are stabbed/penetrated by any pointed weapon (e.g an arrow), leave it as it is and go to hospital. Don’t pull it out. If the arrow (or whatever the object is) has hit an artery or major vein, pulling it out could kill you in minutes.
4. Don’t smoke. It causes cancer and other diseases.
5. If you are bitten by a snake, remember as much as you can about the snake so the hospital can administer the correct anti-venom.
6. Chew aspirin tablets during a heart attack.
7. If you break a bone, try not to move that part of the body.
(Here’s what you can do, from another answer of mine)
There has been an accident. The victim is injured and you can clearly see a broken bone. And you don’t have emergency medical facilities.
Try to immobilize the part of the body which is affected. So that there is no more movement in the broken bone.
A thumb rule is to secure the joints just above and just below the fractured part.
Make sure those two joints can’t be moved.
You can use common items like sticks and ropes for that purpose. It will be almost as effective as a plaster of paris splint.
8. If you get a headache that’s “worst headache of your life”, make sure you say it to your doctor. It can be a brain haemorrhage.
9. If you are feeling unusually thirsty and/or hungry for few days, get a doctor. It can be diabetes.
10. 120 ml of alcohol taken daily can reduce the risk of cardiac morbidity, according to American heart association. Although it also “cautions people NOT to start drinking … if they do not already drink “.
11. Lungs and tympanic membrane are the most commonly injured organs due to a bomb blast.
12. Here’s what you should do if you accidentally amputate a body part